Doctoral Program FAQs

What is this degree?

The degree we offer is a Ph.D in Counselor Education and Supervision. It requires a Master’s degree in Counseling or equivalent course work in a related field.

If I have a Master’s in psychology (or anther field), will I be accepted?

Part of the application package includes a transcript analysis to show where the following course content has been covered: Counseling Theory, Counseling Techniques, Human Growth and Development, Professional Ethics, Multicultural Counseling, Career and Lifestyle Development, Testing and Assessment, Research, Practicum, and Internship. If you can establish that your degree is comparable to a CACREP-approved Master’s in counseling, your application will be considered.

What is a Ph.D. with a concentration in counseling?

Our degree is designed primarily for counselors who want to develop more in-depth clinical skills, supervision skills, teaching skills, and/or administrative skills.

Can I expect coursework to resemble Masters level courses?

Doctoral level coursework is very different from Masters level courses. The student is expected to be more of an independent learner. Most of the classes are seminars where the students have responsibility for generating lectures/discussions, etc. Many classes require participation in corresponding Masters level courses (multicultural counseling, counseling techniques, practicum) so students often have a commitment beyond simply attending class.

When is the application deadline?

Review of applications will begin on December 1. Decisions about funding support will likely be completed by April 1.

Where can I get admission materials?

Complete admission materials and information can be downloaded from the Graduate School.

Can I enroll as a part-time student?

The program has been established primarily as for full-time study. Courses are offered only once each year as part of a sequence. It is important to be making steady progress towards the degree. Classes are offered during the day and many of them require assistance in a related Master’s level course. Undoubtedly, there will be a few part-time students.

How much time do I have to complete the degree?

Students will have a total of 9 years to complete the program beginning from the date of the first course to be applied towards degree requirements.

Which standardized test is required for entrance into the Ph.D. program?

Standardized tests such as the GRE or MAT are no longer required as part of the doctoral admissions process.

Is financial assistance available?

At this time, full time incoming doctoral students have the opportunity to be consider for Graduate Assistant Support Plan (GASP). The GASP program is described here:

Additional funding opportunities can be found at

In-state residency

Because North Carolina residents are entitled to substantially lower tuition rates than out-of-state residents, GASP scholars who are non-residents of North Carolina for tuition purposes should make every effort possible to establish North Carolina residency. Students with permanent resident alien status are eligible to apply. However, some students are not eligible to establish NC residency (e.g., international students on J-1 visa). You may find information on eligibility and the requirements to establish N.C. residency on the Residency Determination Office web site:

What kind of internships experiences are required?

There are three internships: CSLG 8442, CSLG 8443 CLSG 8445. Each requires a minimum of 200 contact hours.